Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Race Strategy?

First off, training is going well, though on occasion still humbling. I had a tempo run on Tuesday that I ran with another girl (doing a tempo run) and a guy doing an 'easy 5k' which...yeah, kind of humbling. Still, the run did go well, if tiring. I'm not really looking forward to my run on Friday though - I have a 15k run with the last 10k at goal pace :( I keep having to tell myself it will be good long term. Another thing I'm not looking forward to? 30k on Sunday.


I have a race coming up in a couple of weeks - only a 5k which is kind of exciting. I'm not fabulous at 5k races so we'll see how it goes. I'm thinking I may just run this race balls out (that the technical term for it) and see what happens - I've never run a race where I'm completely spent at the end - mostly I try to pace for even splits or so, but sometimes when I'm done, I think I could have done better. So I may be employing the strategy of elementary school runners, which is basically to run as fast as possible (ok maybe not as fast as possible, but faster than I have been doing lately in races) as long as possible and hope that I make it to the end. It's only a 5k so what's the worst that can happen? There's no way I won't finish, it's short enough that I don't think that will be an issue barring some sort of injury, so I figure it's as good a strategy as any (if you can call it that).

No comments:

Post a Comment